Saturday, August 17, 2013

Confessions of a Undisciplined Stash Hoarder

Situation:

I realize all quilters are hoarders in one degree or another.....it goes with the territory and is necessary.  We need the thrill of digging and finding fabric we forgot we had...

But when you dig and dig and dig, you eventually and inevitably end up with a mixture of colors, patterns, and styles that just don't go together....
 
When that happens, I often give up on "stash looking" and start buying fabric for whatever project I am contemplating...



A vicious circle...and Expensive!

Not only in fabric but containers as well....
 I admit to saving all the smaller pieces for future use in who knows what project, as well as taking advantage of free fabric from quilters who know their limitations in time and energy.
 
This is not new...I was aware of it before...remember my Mini-Giveaways in the past???...

 I have had an awakening this last week...never mind the details..

Fact of life and no Kidding:  I'm 73 (almost 74) years of age and most of this treasure in cloth will never be used by "moi".  I shouldn't be so Greedy!...




Conclusion:

I probably will continue to buy cloth...however...I have decided to Really Try and use what I have...

To no longer think of the recipient first then the quilt....Instead, I will make the quilt, or several, and then let the recipient choose which one is wanted.  This will allow me to pick freely any color combinations, styles, and patterns I want...

I will be free to try new things without constraints.....if no one wants the result, the charity/comfort/donated quilt pile grows...

This is not only saving money, but maybe in a couple of years, I will be able to tame this Mess on Shelves (aka: stash) to a slight degree.



First couple of ideas.....another plaid quilt And ....see the fabric..a Pink/Tan quilt.

Or....maybe I'll just take a container at a time and see what develops.....

I see a future of flurry of fabric flying freely ......(had to type this)...

Thanks for dropping by....

5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I want to come play! And was that a stuffed bird on top of a rack I saw? Yes, sweetie = use that lovely fabric in what makes you happy.

Unknown said...

I loved looking at your stash, I am only 50 and already have a good pile in the making, and when I buy more fabric that I don't need I tell myself that its for when I no longer work full time and don't have as much cash... but if I am like you will will probably still be buying more fabric for years to come.

Norece said...

I like the idea of making what you like and then letting them choose which one they want - I am going to do the same. I am 60 and have the same problem as you do - TOO MUCH FABRIC! I better get busy.

Margie said...

This is so me!!! Am a person of few words but had to chime in on this. At 70 years old I must be your little sister. I inherited my Grandmothers stash, who didn't throw anything away, then my mothers stash, twice, when she moved from a stick home to a trailer and then to a retirement center. Now of course I am guilty of adding to all of this. It doesn't help to go to yard sales a lot either!! It is a good thing I like scrap quilts but all 3 of the kids have informed me "No More Quilts, we have enough Mom!"

Will be watching what you do and maybe gather a few ideas. Boy, for a women of few words I sure did rattle on!!!! Take Care!

Shannon said...

I LOVE THAT IDEA!!! You are a genius!Good for you. It is a great idea to use what you have and then let them pick which one. I have been working on UFO's only so in a sense I guess I am doing the same thing. Good for you! It will keep you sewing without all of the other stuff getting in the way.